Confusing Hard Work With Talent


One of my friends, Ahmer, is a really exquisite football player and he displays his genius on the pitch for both our college and one of the biggest clubs in the city. I'm also on the team with him, but my place is mostly the bench. So one day I get injured in training and I go sit near where my college principal and coach were talking about how a talented and naturally gifted individual Ahmer was and to me, the whole conversation didn't feel right.

I mean I've known Ahmer for about six years back when he was an overweight boy who had no idea about football. I was actually the one who developed his interest in football and he started watching and playing it. He made a complete fool of himself whenever he stepped on the pitch but I saw him working hard, hitting the gym and the football pitch every single day to become the best player I know but I don't understand why six years of his hard work and passion are described by words like "talented" or "gifted".

If he was "naturally gifted", as most people describe him, why is it that he made a complete fool of himself on the ball six years ago and now, he displays absolute magic on it. So it got me wondering, do "born talents" or "naturally gifted people" even exist? We see a person displaying perfection in a particular field and we label him as "born talent" but we obviously forget the years of hard work that the person has done to achieve that perfection.

The truth is, there is no such thing as "born talent", all the people who get to the top work hard to get there and well, there may be some people who have plus points for that particular field but hard work is the basic thing. So, if you think that you can not achieve a certain goal because you don't have the necessary talent, then let me tell you that you can work hard to achieve the goal one way or another. No one is born with a certain skill, they learn to do it and work hard to perfect it.

Comments

Qainat amil said…
Brilliant concept. Indeed hard work is the key to success no matter how talented you are.